Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Hash Cracking with Rental AI GPUs

I've been doing a lot with fast.ai lately and really enjoying it. The worst part about AI is how long it takes to train a model, realize you messed up, change it, then do it again. A fast machine makes all the difference.

So when this guy was looking to do some hashcracking, and would have otherwise needed to borrow a bunch of physical graphic cards, I thought it would be a great time to suggest trying AI rental GPUs to do it. I think the implementation turned out great, check out his blog for details: 

https://www.scrawledsecurityblog.com/2020/11/cracking-password-hashes-on-cheap-how.html

Note: we couldn't really use fast.ai Gradient/paperspace, since those free tiers are public by default. Obviously that wouldn't be great security. So the article describes vast.ai (I know, I thought it was a typo at first!)

No comments:

Post a Comment